What is Social Media?
Social Media, by definition, is the collection of strategies, practices and tools for communicating, creating, sharing and discussing news, information and other media online. Also, social media is a phrase that has been tossed around a lot these days. But why do dentists require social media? How can dentists harness the power of social media? Can your dental office receive an endless stream of new patients from Facebook and Twitter? Are you keeping up with what is going on in LinkedIn and being connected to peers and network?
Do dentists need Social Media?
Dental Marketing has come a long way from when dentists were getting websites prepared but had no inkling about how websites helped them in their business. They jumped on the bandwagon because all their peers had a website, without understanding the positives of Internet marketing. Now with the dominance of Social Media, there is an incredible new way to let people know about your dental office and your services. You can use various social media platforms to market your brand online and you can do it all by yourself!
The good news is that Social Media is virtually free, if approached the correct way, it can be a gold mine in the truest sense. A dentist who is savvy understands the positive financial impact of Social Media Marketing. Many Dentists have begun to realize and understand the potential of dental marketing. A Twitter survey of 38 dentists conducted by “The Wealthy Dentist” early last year found over half (57%) of the respondents were already using social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn for professional purposes!
Is Social Media is about building relationships?
Social media isn’t about the media; it’s about being social. Dentists are human beings too! Often, we will hear that we shouldn’t be ‘wasting time’ on social media sites all day, and that we should be busy ‘getting things done’. What these people don’t understand is that being successful in using Social Media is all about building human relationships and associations.
At Dentavista, we believe social media is all about connecting with people and establishing relationships!
5 Must Have’s for Social Media Dentists!
Twitter is one of the most powerful forms of social media! It is simple and effective and provides dentists with recognizable benefits. And there is a bunch of people discussing new trends in dentistry and people are talking about their dental offices, so you need to be there too!
Here are a few advantages of using Twitter for Dental Marketing
▪ It’s a great platform to find, connect and interact with like minded people, industry and network.
▪ Twitter is a massive traffic generator to your blog or website.
▪ Twitter helps you not only in generating lead but also converting that lead into productivity!
▪ It is a great tool for customer services.
▪ Search engines index every tweet and they are great tools for Search Engine Optimization.
A Twitter profile — if named properly — can also provide another score in the search results for your website.
At Dentavista, we have taken full advantage of the communication and networking powers of Twitter. Here’s our twitter handle, stay connected!
Facebook has turned to a major communication channel and it is a mistake to keep it out of your dental marketing. An Average Facebook user visits the site 40 times per month and spends more than 20 minutes in each visit. Here are a few tips to get the most of of Facebook!
How to benefit from Dental Facebooking?
▪ With more than 845 million active users as of this post, Facebook is the largest social networking site in the world. Having a Facebook Page that is dedicated to your company can put your business on the social media radar.
▪ Facebook can pinpoint users based on your needs and is highly targeted.
▪ It helps you gather a strong collection of quotes from clients that have achieved success with you and pepper a few of them throughout your Facebook page!
▪ You can easily upload photos and videos, and share links and updates about your dental products and services on your Facebook page. The photos of your products can also be organized through albums with title and description.
▪ It strengthens the trust and relationship with customers. It can build trust and confidence in them.
▪ Facebook can be the perfect medium to launch your viral marketing campaigns.
▪ Although it’s a business page, you can also effectively share personal posts that can inspire people.
At Dentavista, we educate our patients on dental ailments, their cure and prevention via our Facebook page. We also edify our patients about dental facts and dental tips. Facebook is a “one-stop shop” for entertainment, communication, and sharing of information with others. Here’s a link to our Facebook page!
Pinterest is one of the fastest growing social media platforms. A new social media app is bucking the trend and showing some promise by using pictures. It’s a social network, a bookmarking site, and a dynamic content curation site—all rolled into one.
How can Pinterest benefit your dental practice?
▪ Create boards that make you laugh, smile, or react in some way that pushes people to share a piece of content.
▪ Savvy dentists will figure out how to create and delegate the use of Pinterest in their practice like follow patients and fellow doctors on Pinterest.
▪ It is likely that most dentists and orthodontists have a selection of products they recommend to patients, so why not make a Pinterest pin board showcasing those recommendations?
The Pinterest eagle has landed and everyone wants to be the one to tell you how to use it to market your brand. We at Dentavista believe in the power of Pinterest!
As professionals or business owners, connections are key to our success and dentists are no exceptions. In all honesty, people need both, online and offline connections to make a difference in their businesses. If you want or need to communicate with professionals, in and out of the dental industry. LinkedIn may be a good investment of your time. LinkedIn is a great way to connect with fellow dentists, people interested in the profession. Earlier this year, a HubSpot study found that when it comes to generating leads, LinkedIn is 277% more effective than other social networks.
Why is LinkedIn a Must-Use Tool for Dentists?
▪ Top Influencers are group members whose contributions cause the most contributions from other group members. If you are a social media savvy dentist, you can benefit tremendously from LinkedIn.
▪ It’s a place for professional idea sharing where one can join groupspertinent to one’s industry and look for associations. Dentist Network on LinkedIn is a great community to share information.
▪ LinkedIn helps in creating polls and starting discussions. Creating a poll can show users that you are truly interested in hearing their opinions. Discussions are a great way of enlightening and engaging with like-minded people.
At Dentavista, our doctors have a LinkedIn profile. We engage with their peers and network.
While social media plays a role in the development of trust and credibility, the effectiveness of your website cannot be overlooked. Blogs can be incorporated as part of your dental practice website domain.
Dental Blogging Benefits
▪ Content leads to conversation, conversation builds relationships and relationships result in business or ROI. And blogs are a great example of great content.
▪ Blogs are like putting a human face on your brand, differentiating you from your competition and educating prospects and clients.
▪ Your blogs should be content driven, original and it is important that you entice people, earn their trust, and teach them about your services and products in a way that resonates with them.
▪ Blogs are also a great way to educate people about the latest trends in dentistry; it is also a good tool for communicating with current patients and attracting new patients online.
▪ Two important considerations when setting up a blog are inclusion of contact information and an opportunity to subscribe to the blog.
▪ Blogging conveys your seriousness to search engine indexing spiders while also branding your dental practice and services to patients.
▪ Your blog posts should be sprinkled with important keywords such as smile makeover, teeth whitening, and porcelain veneers, dental implants, with your location.
Well-written blogs provide search engines exactly what they want—new information and original content. The higher your dental blog ranks for targeted keyword phrases, the more traffic you can expect on your site.
Blogs are a great source of knowledge. And we at Dentavista, believe that knowledge is power. Here’s a link to our latest blogs.
The keyword to understanding the intent of these communication channels is Social. Using Social Media in the right way leads to new customers, happy customers and of course more business! More power to Social Media! More power to Dentistry!
If you have any questions, feel free leave a comment below or you can connect with us on our Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn page.
Disclaimer: All images posted are on third party websites. Copyrights as applicable.